Actually the .htaccess files are ok I think, they are provided with Zen cart,
what I need to do is follow instructions in their .htaccess files to set up
apache for this particular domain.

The only problem is, each domain has it's own conf.d config file and I checked
in the apache config files for two of the stores - domains that are operating
OK and can't find any similar directives in them so I'm wondering where to
place the directives.  In httpd.conf golbally for all domains?