If someone is telling you that "deny *everything*" is valid Apache httpd syntax, you can rest assured that they don't know what they're talking about, and you might want to find support elsewhere.

Additionally, <Directory> blocks are not permitted in .htaccess files.

I would strongly encourage you to point this "developer" here, as they might benefit from our help.

Meanwhile, I would encourage you to read these:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authz_host.html#deny
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authz_host.html#allow

Only problem is, the developer is now claiming that by taking that one line out, that I may as well take the entire directive set that they recommend out of my conf.d config file for this domain, because that one line if removed, disables all the protections provided in their new .htaccess files that came with Zen Cart. Funny though, I could not get his install scripts to run without all the rest of the directives I left in.

So anyway he claims that there is a way to configure my Apache 2.2.3 server which would make use of the deny *everything* line in my conf.d file and provide full protection. So I am now wondering what I need to do to set the switch to enable Apache to use this line and provide full protection. Something in the main httpd.conf file?

He claims that this is out of the scope of their support arena, the server settings that utilize his above suggested (actually required for install) directives.

Thanks for any advice here.

Rich Bowen
rbo...@rcbowen.com