OK thanks I realize that now the way he worded it in the forum I thought it was
to be part of the apache directives and not a comment and thought I should
remove the # sign.

So does it appear that all I need to do is edit the main httpd.conf file and
enter in

ie:    AllowOverride All

or:    AllowOverride Limit Indexes

into httpd.conf?