On 9/24/2010 4:28 PM, Mark Tischler wrote:
>  I have been looking through a lot of documentation on this subject, both on
> apache.org
> and elsewhere, and I can't seem to find an answer to the following question:
>
> Our Apache web server (version 2.2.11 running on Solaris 10) is currently
> authenticating
> users via LDAP successfully.  But, we would like to have an *encrypted*
> password sent from
> *the browser to the Apache web server* when authenticating via LDAP.  I
> understand that
> encryption is performed from the web server to the LDAP server by using
> ldaps, which we
> are using, but we are getting complaints that the password is traveling from
> the users'
> web browsers to our Apache web server in the clear (not encrypted).  The
> problem really
> requires that the web browsers and Apache support an encrypted authentication
> over http
> instead of counting on wrapping everything via https.  It would be nice if
> the public key
> encryption worked between the browser and Apache for the password part.
>
> I understand that I could force the users to use an https URL instead of an
> http URL, but
> that seems like it would be overkill.  If that is the only solution to this
> issue, then we
> would really want the user to authenticate over https, but then fall back to
> http for all
> of the rest of the communications to the web server so as not to incur the
> inherent
> performance penalty of https.  Any hints on how to do that
> effectively/efficiently would
> be welcome in that case.
>
> I also understand that using the Digest method of authentication (vs. Basic)
> does not work
> with LDAP, because, if I understand it correctly, this method doesn't even
> send the
> password, which, of course, LDAP would need.

The only way to secure Basic auth is with SSL.  Basic is simply encoded in 64
bit space
to make it safe for 7-bit transport.  What you want is Digest auth, which then
ties the
digest key to the hashed user/pass/domain and secures the token from being
snarfed for
requests from yet a third IP address.

I don't know of any simple mechanism to store digest credentials in ldap (see
htdigest
and the mod_auth_digest module for further details).