William,

Thanks. There is no way to make Digest authentication work with LDAP from what I have found/read. But it seems to me that someone must have already run up against this sometime before now. Is my understanding correct that one can use Digest authentication to encrypt the password between the browser and the web server? If so, it seems like there ought to be a corresponding solution (to get that same encryption capability) with LDAP. From the answers I've been getting, I'm beginning to think that it might be time to submit an enhancement request to the Apache developers. I'll wait a bit longer to see if anyone else knows of a way to accomplish this with existing capabilities (besides SSL, which is, as I said, my backup plan).

Mark