On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Renato Oliveira
<renato.olive...@grant.co.uk> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I thank you for all your help in advance.
>
> I have a bit of problem.
>
> We have a setup which is as follows:
>
>        * Apache + mod_jk setup as a load balancer for 2 jboss servers.
>        * As you can see we have redundancy at the back with two jboss servers.
>        * the other day the Apache + mod_jk went down because of a network
> card problem
>        * This prompt us to think of redundancy for this front end load
> balancing server.
>
> How do you guys deal with redundancy for this setup, The Apache + mod_jk?
> What would be the best approach?
> Do you guys have any recommendations that could actually mirror the Apache
> server and give me some sort of HA failover?
>
> Thank you very much for all your comments, suggestions and help I very much
> appreciate it.
>
> Thank you
>
> Renato

We use a pair of apache servers as reverse proxies, each with a pair
of High Availability IP addresses. If either box goes down, the other
box takes over the HA address. Requests are round-robin routed to the
HA addresses using a pair of routers (and that part of it the
configuration is beyond me).

Every (good) OS has an implementation of HA IP addresses. We use
FreeBSD, which offers CARP [1] as a solution.

Cheers

Tom

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Address_Redundancy_Protocol