2010/10/30 Honza Lefty Škoda <le...@multihost.cz>:
> On 29.10.2010 19:08, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> 2010/10/28 Honza Lefty Škoda <le...@multihost.cz>:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I use mod_fcgid & suexec for safe execution of php scripts. I've
>>> recently tested the performance of fcgid
>>> and found out that when i request static page (.html or .css)
>>> fcgi process is spawned (if doesn't exist yet)
>>
>> unexpected
>>
>>>                                                                      and the
>>> counter "Accesses" on server-status page increments as well.
>>
>> expected
> Are you sure? I've probably described it wrong way, I meant Accesses
> counter of the corresponding fcgid worker (mod_fcgid status section)

you're right, I was thinking of the wrong accesses counter

>>> I'm not sure if this is a bug, result of my wrong settings, or
>>> desired behavior, but it imho leads to quite poor performance.
>>> I use mpm_worker, gentoo linux, mod_fcgid 2.3.5, apache 2.2.15.
>>>
>>> Pieces of configuration I found relevant:
>>>
>>> In file: /etc/apache2/modules.d/20_mod_fcgid.conf
>>
>>> Options +ExecCGI
>>> AddHandler the-php .php
>>> Action the-php /mh-bin/php-wrapper.fcgi
>>
>> something more is needed to run static files through php; the other
>> directives are irrelevant
>>
>> (it is getting processed by php, right?  mod_fcgid can't handle static
>> file requests itself)
>
> If I insert PHP code into the static file (like <?php echo "something";
> ?>), it isn't processed, so it probably doesn't go through PHP
> interpreter. Maybe it doesn't go through fcgi worker at all. On the
> other hand, the speed of processing static files is imho quite poor
> (static file is servered 3x faster than PHP with DB).
>
> The mail reason why I began inspecting this problem is that static files
> "wakes" fcgi threads and prevents idle timeouts, spawns new threads and
> so. I would expect fcgid not serving static files (and ignoring them in
> fcgi process management!) at all.

Are the FastCGI processes which get created all PHP interpreters?

I can't tell from the individual directives you listed why it is going
through FastCGI.  I guess you don't have FcgidAccessChecker or
FcgidAuthenticator or FcgidAuthorizer anywhere?  You don't have a
SetHandler for the-php anywhere, and only the one AddHandler shown
above?

I think you're going to need to post real configuration, after you've
figured out everything you can remove from it while static files are
still passed through mod_fcgid.