Thanks for the quick reply!

On 5 November 2010 15:18, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM, YorHel <yor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> ..
>>
>> I have not been able to find a similar feature built-in into Apache,
>> and while looking for solutions I came across mod_buffer in Apache
>> 2.3. Which, if I understood its working right, does not buffer input
>> *before* the request is passed to the handler, but while the handler
>> is already "handling" the request. Running an alpha release on a
>> production server does not seem like a good idea, either.
>
> For input, mod_fcgid already does what you want (in fact it doesn't
> implement any alternative).

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I did test mod_cgi and found out that the
httpd wasn't buffering the input in that case. I had assumed mod_fcgid
to work similar in that regard, but I guess I was wrong. I'll do a
similar test with mod_fcgid tomorrow.

> For output, have you looked at the FcgidOutputBufferSize directive?

I'm surprised haven't noticed that option before. Looks like I was too
focused on plain CGI in my research. (for which it's not even all that
crucial to buffer I/O *sigh*) The documentation suggests it will do
what I want. I'll play around with that as well tomorrow and report my
results.

> I looked at mod_buffer and similar logic in mod_fcgid some time ago
> with the thought that mod_buffer could be used, but IIRC fcgid has
> flushing unexpectedly integrated with buffering.  It would be good for
> someone to separate that into separately configurable processing and
> hopefully allow mod_buffer to be used to the extent possible.
>
>> I also found mod_security, which is a sophisticated-looking external
>> module that seems to be able to buffer request data, but doesn't seem
>> to buffer output.
>>
>> This makes me wonder: is my situation that rare, or am I simply
>> looking in the wrong direction? What is the usual Apache way to handle
>> situations like this?
>
> not rare; somebody sitting next to me at the moment complains of some
> humongous Drupal (PHP) processes, 8 of which will take over a 48GB
> system

Ouch. I will consider myself lucky, then.