A short follow-up on my problem:

On 5 November 2010 15:38, YorHel <yor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 November 2010 15:18, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For input, mod_fcgid already does what you want (in fact it doesn't
>> implement any alternative).
>
> Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I did test mod_cgi and found out that the
> httpd wasn't buffering the input in that case. I had assumed mod_fcgid
> to work similar in that regard, but I guess I was wrong. I'll do a
> similar test with mod_fcgid tomorrow.

Yup, I can confirm that mod_fcgid does the trick fine.

>> For output, have you looked at the FcgidOutputBufferSize directive?
>
> I'm surprised haven't noticed that option before. Looks like I was too
> focused on plain CGI in my research. (for which it's not even all that
> crucial to buffer I/O *sigh*) The documentation suggests it will do
> what I want. I'll play around with that as well tomorrow and report my
> results.

Tested that option and confirmed that it indeed does exactly what I want.

I was expecting a more generalized solution to this problem within
Apache, one that would also work with other content generators that
could benefit from it (e.g. mod_cgi and mod_proxy). But this solution
works fine as well.

Thanks again!