----- "Mark Phillips" <m...@phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:

> I have a web server at webIP off site. I have a second server for
> photos running a php photo gallery app behind apache at photoIP on my
> local LAN. I have a page on the web server that uses iframes to the
> photo server's images.
>
> I am trying to restrice access to the photo server to requests from
> the web server using apache Allowoverride on the photo server. Here is
> what I have:

That doesn't make a lot of sense..

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#allowoverride

AllowOverride only has a say on what you can or cannot do in a
.htaccess file. Given that you have access to the configuration,
using .htaccess files doesn't make much sense.

> <VirtualHost photoIP:8080>
>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/gallery
>
> <Directory />
> Options FollowSymLinks
> AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory /var/www/gallery>
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> AllowOverride All FileInfo Options
> Order allow,deny
> Deny from all
> # internal access
> Allow from 192.168.25.0/24
> Allow from 127
> # Web server
> Allow from webIP
> </Directory>
>
> ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/hammerhead/
> error.log
>
> # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
> # alert, emerg.
> LogLevel debug
>
> CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I can access the photos from a machine on my local LAN, but not from
> hosts off my LAN. The only way to get it to work is to change Deny
> from all to Allow from all. What am I doing wrong?

How does the Web Server access the photos?
What do you see in the Error log/access log?

> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883