Igor,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I did not include ProxyPassReverse in my initial post.  The full
"proxy" configurations are:

ProxyPass /altlocation http://serverA/altlocation<http://servera/altlocation>
ProxyPass / http://defaultServer/ <http://defaultserver/>
ProxyPassReverse / http://defaultServer/

As for the input filter, it is activated the moment that it is loaded.  So
what I have is:

LoadModule myif_module /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_myif.so

Inside the code of the module itself, there are no "configuration"
parameters, just a register filter immediately:

static void register_hooks(apr_pool_t *p)
{
    ap_register_input_filter("MYIF_IN", myif_filter_in, NULL,
                             AP_FTYPE_CONNECTION);
    ap_hook_pre_connection(myif_pre_conn, NULL, NULL, APR_HOOK_MIDDLE);
}

module AP_MODULE_DECLARE_DATA myif_module = {
    STANDARD20_MODULE_STUFF,
    NULL,                    /* create per-directory config structure */
    NULL,                    /* merge per-directory config structures */
    NULL,                    /* create per-server config structure */
    NULL,                    /* merge per-server config structures */
    NULL,                    /* command apr_table_t */
    register_hooks           /* register hooks */
};

Let me know if you require further information and thanks for the reply.

Lawrence