We operate one public web site and about 20 private web sites.  They're all the
same server, running the same Apache server instance (2.2.14-5ubuntu8.3).

Most customers get excellent performance, but two customers get terrible
response times, but only on *some* of the VirtualHosts.  They get excellent
site can take over a minute to load.

The VirtualHosts are configured identically except for the "Allow from" and
"ServerName" directives.  As far as I can tell, everything else is identical (except the
specific database it uses, but for these tests we're only loading static HTML pages).

It appears that "www.ourdomain.com" VirtualHosts always work, but
"xyz.ourdomain.com" VirtualHosts give problems.

Examining TCP/IP traffic using WireShark, it looks like the slow virtual hosts
are dropping ACK packets.  Each TCP/IP conversation starts out fast, but then
there's a 5-second gap in the middle of every HTTP response.  Yet if the very
same user accesses a different VirtualHost, there is no problem at all.

We've been trying to figure this out for weeks with no luck.  Any ideas would
be greatly appreciated.

Craig