Check the dns resolution for the xyz host.

Sent from my phone

On Dec 9, 2010 1:24 PM, "Craig A. James" <cja...@emolecules.com> wrote:

We operate one public web site and about 20 private web sites.  They're all
the same server, running the same Apache server instance
(2.2.14-5ubuntu8.3).

Most customers get excellent performance, but two customers get terrible
response times, but only on *some* of the VirtualHosts.  They get excellent
site can take over a minute to load.

The VirtualHosts are configured identically except for the "Allow from" and
"ServerName" directives.  As far as I can tell, everything else is identical
(except the specific database it uses, but for these tests we're only

It appears that "www.ourdomain.com" VirtualHosts always work, but "
xyz.ourdomain.com" VirtualHosts give problems.

Examining TCP/IP traffic using WireShark, it looks like the slow virtual
hosts are dropping ACK packets.  Each TCP/IP conversation starts out fast,
but then there's a 5-second gap in the middle of every HTTP response.  Yet
if the very same user accesses a different VirtualHost, there is no problem
at all.

We've been trying to figure this out for weeks with no luck.  Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.

Craig