On 12/28/10 3:18 PM, Don Hill wrote:
What I really want to know is there a better design that I should use to gain performance.

Umm.. switch to using mod_proxy_ajp, as the apache documentation suggests ?

It offers a binary interface and much improved speed.

for example

1.) create multiple HTTPD servers, 2 servers per machine. Each serving 2 tomcats JVM

Why ?
Is your tomcat setup not multithreaded ?

2.) use load balancer in workers to handle the load balance to the JVM's. The current configuration is balancing through the vhosts and each vhost has a worker for a JVM instance.

That doesn't really make any sense. You can load balance connections, but what does "load balance through vhosts" mean ?