http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy.html#startup

> The sitename has multiple A records, and I make the backends choose
> individualiseable vhosts. Besides, my hosts file is vast!)
>
> Unfortunately, when I try and use mod_headers to set the Host: header
> for these backend connections, the balancer layer destroys the
> result and replaces it with the IP.
>
> Apparently, if I switch ProxyPreserveHost on, I may get further,
> but since that's a site-wide setting a side effect would mean all

Not quite sure what you mean by site-wide, but:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypreservehost
says: Context:  server config, virtual host

> of my other proxied directories would now get the wrong Host: header.
> All the RewriteRule [P]'s would break and I would have to catch and

Waaaait a sec.
You're using mod_rewrite for proxying?
Why? (http://bash.org/?866112)

> replace the Host in every single one of them in individual <Proxy>
> blocks.
> That deluge of perpetual kludgery does not appeal.
>
> What I need is a way to tell a ProxyPass or BalancerMember, that
> they should use a certain Host: header in its communications
> with this backend. e.g.
> BalancerMember http://10.0.0.1/foo/ host=foobar.com

Now I'm confused. How do your configs actually look like?

> The logical alternative would have been to be able to specify a
> certain target IP to connect to instead of a certain Host name
> to use e.g.
> BalancerMember http://foobar.com/foo/ address=10.0.0.1
>
> but I suspect apache would then be unable to set <Proxy> block
> rules for individual balancer members since they'd all declare
> the same URL and you'd be unable to match them individually

You can use ProxySet
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxyset
in <Proxy > and <BalancerMember >

But ProxySet only allows you to set the same Variables as
ProxyPass does. host is none of them.

> So, I currently can't use my backends in mod_proxy_balancer
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Paste(bin) youur config or enough of it, that we can deduce
what you're trying to do and how.

> DFW

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883