On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 12:29:00PM +0000, Tom Evans wrote:
> *:80 means "listen on on all addresses on all interfaces THIS BOX
> has", not "respond to every IP address in the world". Furthermore, how
> would the 'request meant for the linux server' be routed to the
> windows box?

Not every address in the world, but every port 80 request that it sees on
its ethernet connection.

It is possible that the Linux box and the Windblows box could be connected
to a hub, instead of a switch.  Then the ethernet ports on both computers
would "see" IP traffic meant for each other.

To me it would be safer not to use the wildcard.

MB
--
e-mail: vid...@vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign