On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 02:00:24PM +0000, Tom Evans wrote:
> > Then the ethernet ports on both computers
> > would "see" IP traffic meant for each other.
>
> No.

Ah, but that is indeed what happens.  If a hub is used, all packets are placed
onto all of the jacks of the hub, therefore both computers will see port 80
packets.  Switches route traffic to the appropriate jack of the switch, hubs
do not.

When I wanted to snoop all traffic that a computer was seeing and generating,
I'd use a hub to connect the computer I wanted to snoop and he computer doing
the snooping.

Yes, the builtin snooping facility of the computer I was trying to track the
traffic on should do the trick.  But, in some circumstances I needed a third-
party snooper.

MB
--
e-mail: vid...@vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign