On 2011-02-15, at 6:45 AM, Krist van Besien wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Norman Fournier
> <nor...@normanfournier.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a website running with an expiry date set for 1 week in the database
>> file. Once the .db file expires the site goes offline. I then have increment
>> the serial number,  to grep for "named" and -HUP the process to bring the
>> site online again.
>>
>> All of my other sites use the same configuration of .conf and .db files and
>> stay online, except this particular URL. As a matter of fact, I copied a
>> successful .conf and .db file and edited them to create them. The other
>> sites have a .db expiry of 1 week also.
>>
>> Where would you suggest I begin to look for the error or do you have any
>> ideas what could be the cause of this behaviour.
>
> I have no idea what you mean with an expiry date on a database file.
> Could you be more specific? Apache itself does not use db files. Some
> website you have installed might, but you are not telling us enough...
>
>> I am running Apache 1.3.41 on OSX 10.4.11
>
> Why are you using such an old version of apache?
>
> Krist

Hello,

I thought it was all part and parcel of the Apache configuration. The relevant
part of the .db file looks like this:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 14400    ; 4 hours
e4edmonton.com        IN SOA    ns1.normanfournier.com.
postmaster.e4edmonton.com. (
                2010020305 ; serial
                21600      ; refresh (6 hours)
                900        ; retry (15 minutes)
                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                43200      ; minimum (12 hours)
                )
            NS    ns1.normanfournier.com.
            NS    ns2.normanfournier.com.
--snip--

All of the website I host use this same type of file but they stay permanently
online.

Are there problems with the version of Apache I am using? I would hate to break
it by upgrading. I have had bad experiences after upgrading software and
applications that will not run on a later version, so I am a little gun shy.

Norman
---
http://www.normanfournier.com