Ok, so thanks Will. The issue was CVE-2010-3864 and you've shed some
light on this.

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe Jr. [mailto:wr...@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:47 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] upgrade mod_ssl on Apache

On 3/11/2011 3:07 PM, Edwards, Denise wrote:

> I'm upgrading the Apache HTTP from 2.2.10 to latest version (2.2.17).
We normally use the
> openSSL that comes bundled with the Apache install package. The latest
Apache comes
> bundled with OpenSSL v0.9.8o and I need to upgrade it to v0.9.8p. How
do you upgrade the
> openssl on the installed Apache? I downloaded the OpenSSL v0.9.8p tar
from openssl.org,
> but not sure where to go from there as it's not the mod_ssl.so format.

FWIW...

 0.9.8o - CVE-2010-0742 - httpd shipped NO_CMS, no impact
        - CVE-2010-1633 - affected 1.0.0 only, no impact
        - CVE-2010-3864 - mod_ssl does not use openssl internal caching,
no impact

 0.9.8p - CVE-2010-4180 - MITM issue in renegotiation, potential impact
        - CVE-2010-4252 - httpd shipped NO_JPAKE, no impact

 0.9.8q - CVE-2011-0014 - no oscp support in 2.2.17, no impact

As you can see, there is one possible MITM vector in 0.9.8p that impacts
httpd,
so the assertion that one would need to upgrade from .8o to .8p and not
pick
up at least .8q is not only foolish but bordering on the inept, a truly
counterproductive waste of effort.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/win_compiling.html - Follow
ONLY the
[Optional] OpenSSL libraries (for mod_ssl and ab.exe with ssl support)
step
and move openssl.exe, libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll into place, and you
will
be finished.  But at least build a sensible version.

When 2.2.18 ships, or a significant flaw is discovered, httpd will ship
the
then-current iteration of openssl.

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this Internet email is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized.

Not anymore it isn't, due to your act of publishing an inquiry to a
public list.