Hi list,

I'm setting up an Apache server with many path-based authorisations. The goal is to create a file server over HTTP(S). Using an FTP server is not an option. As far as I know, There's only two options available on Apache to set up these kind of authorisations :

.htaccess files : can become heavy resources consuming, doesn't need to restart Apache, needs to access the host filesystem. vhost configuration file : far less resources consuming, needs to restart apache to commit the changes, needs to access the host filesystem.

Is there another way to do this ?
I'm searching for something with a database authentication backend, so I can change autorisations through a service and doesn't need to restart the server.

Thanks,

--
Bastien Semene
Administrateur Réseau&  Système