I think I found the real issue.

In the vhosts it has

    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^test.remcycle.net [NC]
    RewriteRule   ^/(.*)$ /$1
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^www.test.remcycle.net [NC]
    RewriteRule   ^/(.*)$ /$1

After removing this and restarting the website seems to work. I will be doing a
little reading on the rewrite engine to find out why this causes the 403 error,
but I believe this to be the root cause of the issue.