>Is the best way to do this like:
> AddDefaultCharset text/html
> SetEnvIfNoCase Accept "xhtml" ua_supports_xhtml=1
> Header set Content-Type "application/xhtml+xml" env=ua_supports_xhtml

Not sure if above method is "best" but we tested and it "works" but since we're
using mod_cache it doesn't work.  Why?  Because the
first time the page is requested it's cached.  And the cached version contains
randomly either "application/xhtml+xml" or
"text/html."  So everyone other than the first requestor is going to get the
cached version - which may or may not match the request
header parameters.

W3C has a nice write up on this issue at link below and they even say they are
using one of the techniques (using mod_negotiation)
however it doesn't seem to be working because when I request a page from W3C
sending in an Accept header of
"text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml..." I get back headers of
"Content-Type text/html..." instead of the expected
"application/xhtml+xml."

http://www.w3.org/2003/01/xhtml-mimetype/content-negotiation

The latest mod_negotiation module might circumvent whatever issue W3C appears
to be having and/or the above mod_cache issue per link
below but it's a bit vague:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/content-negotiation.html#caching

Anyway, I think we're going to have to scrap using XHTML.

Thanks,

http://www.t1shopper.com/