On May 16, 2011 10:49 , marco <marcodis...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to ask you if someone have tried to modify apache source code.

Yes.

Can I modify code after installation or I need to recompile all apache source files?

Apache HTTP Server is written in C. This means that you need to recompile anything that is affected by your modification. If you modify the Apache core (httpd), you will need to recompile that binary. If you modify an included module, you will need to recompile that module. If you modify a third party module, then only that third party module will need to be recompiled. Your software build system ("make" if you are using a Unix-like system) will track dependencies and recompile only the affected source files; you will then need to install the new binaries.

P.S: In particular I want to modify http_request.c file (and I want to insert into it a routine called from ap_process_request() function).

Are you sure you need to do this, and that what you need to do can't be done via a module such as mod_rewrite, mod_headers, mod_include, or mod_perl? (note that mod_perl has access to the internal Apache request processing hooks).

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org