Il 16/05/2011 17.25, Mark Montague ha scritto:

Please don't reply privately (off-list); it deprives other people (both now and in the future) from the benefits of the discussion.
Sorry but I have not done on purpose!

On May 16, 2011 11:05 , marco <marcodis...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a LAMP architecure and I want that when an http request must be served, then the apache server (before the request is served) send a signal to a different process (that doesn't belong to apache, for example a process called X). Only after the X process run, Apache can serve the request.
So the temporal sequence are:
            ----->httprequest---->Apache--->Xprocess--->Apache

I have seen that http_request.c file manage this situation; for this I want to modify this file.

Can you believe that this problem can be solved without modify http_request.c file?

Yes: I believe you could write a module to do this. (I'd have to do research to be able to say exactly how, though). The advantage to doing this in a module, instead of modifying httpd itself, is lower maintenance costs when future versions of Apache HTTP Server are released, quicker upgrades, and less confusion of other people (system administrators, webmasters) who have to work with your site or server. For more information, seek help on the Apache HTTP Server third-party module development mailing list.

If you'd like to do this without having to write a full Apache module in C, take a look at mod_perl: http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/intro.html This will allow you to tie into the Apache request processing loop from a Perl script, rather than from a compiled module. For more information, seek help on the mod_perl users' mailing list.

But, are you sure that you need to signal a different process, and that what process X does is not something that can be done through Apache, or via another mechanism or architecture?

Yes, X is a different process.
Thanks a lot for your answers. Now I see your link!

Bye
--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org