On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 12:39:44 +0100
Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM, vishesh kumar <linuxtovish...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Members
> >
> > I am getting ?????? ??????? ????.doc and ?????? ??????? ????.xls files in
> > /tmp parition. The owner of all these files are www . I am running apache on
> > centos . Does it indicate any security breach ?
> >
> > Vishesh Kumar

Are those questionmarks just how something gets rendered in email?

> Not necessarily. Do you run any apps on the server by www, including
> PHP? Do they write out temporary files in /tmp before serving them?

"Not necessarily" is a long way from a clear No!  If there's an application
that legitimately creates files in /tmp, the sysop should know about it!

> I can't think what sort of security breach would be achieved by
> placing a few www owned files in /tmp.

A file that might hope to be executed, or fed into something?
Uploading is likely just an early stage of a breakin.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent.
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html