On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Rose, John B <jbr...@utk.edu> wrote:
> We are getting a really large number of “Reading Request” showing up in our
> Apache server status output. The server slowed to a crawl . We related it to
> access to a site on our network and disabled access but we are not sure why
> it would be generating such a problem.  We do not believe it was a Denial Of
> Service attack. The server is a virtual host server for many web sites here
> 300+.
>
> We are using Apache 2.0 on Solaris
>
> I have been googling and looking thru the archives for this mailing list but
> thus far no solutions. Anyone have experience with this or can point me to a
> helpful discussion from the past?
>
> Thanks
> John

Are you sure it wasn't a DOS? This is how someone attacking with
slowloris would appear.

Regardless, a potential solution is to upgrade to the latest 2.2
release, and use the event MPM. The event MPM uses a single thread to
handle all incoming requests/keepalive connections, and so is largely
impervious to this sort of effect.

There are a few gotchas, in 2.2 event MPM cannot handle mod_ssl, and
all modules used (and the libraries they use) must be thread safe (I'm
looking at you, PHP). Of course, we all use modern methods like fcgi
to serve PHP these days :)

Cheers

Tom