On September 8, 2011 12:06 , Norman Fournier <nor...@normanfournier.com> wrote:
I have had to reconfigure my directory layout to accommodate a newer version of Apache.

This is unusual. Usually different versions of Apache HTTP Server will use the same directory layout. The directory layout usually only changes when you switch between different distributions of Apache HTTP Server -- for example, the distribution provided by Red Hat will use one directory layout, but if you compiled Apache HTTP Server yourself a different directory layout would be used unless you took care to duplicate all of Red Hat's configuration and layout for httpd.

If possible, try to minimize variables when upgrading and keep the directory layout the same. This may mean using a different distribution of Apache HTTP Server.

It looks like the configuration file you have came from a MacOS X system. Are you using this configuration file with the version of httpd supplied by Apple? Were you using a version of httpd supplied by Apple before this problem started?

My guess is that the httpd.conf is where my error is located.

Why do you guess that? Is this based on some evidence (in that case, please share the evidence), or is it just a purely random guess?

If you could look over this file for me and offer suggestions as to where my error might be I would appreciate it.

This is the wrong way to solve the problem.

First, when you try to start httpd, do you get any errors or warning messages in the terminal in which you are starting it? Or if you are using the Apple Server Admin tool, does it complain or report any errors?

Next, are any errors in your web server error log file? This is apparently /private/var/log/apache2/error_log in your configuration.

Near the end of the configuration file you posted, there are a lot of Include directives. If you do have an error in your httpd configuration, it could be in the file you posted, but it could also be in any of those included files.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org