On September 8, 2011 12:49 , Norman Fournier <nor...@normanfournier.com> wrote:
The sites are visible on other machines on the internal network using bare ip and port numbers. I assume that means the web server is working or it wouldnt be serving web page at all?

Yes, except below you say that "ps aux | grep httpd" does not return anything and that there are no entries in the web server error log file (and, I'm guessing no entries in the web server access log file). These things imply that httpd is not running, but if the sites are visible from other machines then that would imply that httpd is actually running but that maybe you've got another set of configuration files and log files somewhere. Maybe do a "ps aux | more" and check ALL processes to see if there is ANYTHING that looks like it may be a web server (particularly look for any processes owned by users "www", "apache", or "nobody").

There are no errors or warnings in terminal when I start the webserver, but it appears that it is not running as ps uax | grep httpd does not return anything? I have used apachectl graceful and it doesn't return the usual "apapche gracefully restarted". I then tried the restarting using Sharing in system preferences pane and it tells me web sharing is on.

I don't know if apachectl is an "Apple approved" way of doing things under Mac OS X or not. Check Apple's documentation for more information and also (hopefully) for troubleshooting steps.

Since you mention the "Sharing" system preferences pane, I'm assuming this a regular Mac OS X machine, not Mac OS X Server.

Next, are any errors in your web server error log file?  This is apparently
/private/var/log/apache2/error_log in your configuration.
There has been nothing written to the log files since the server crash 4 days
ago.

Then I suspect that either there is another error log file somewhere else (one that is actually getting written to) or that you have another, fundamental problem at a much higher level than the Apache HTTP Server configuration file. The reason is because if there is an error in the configuration file, httpd will (in my experience) write a message to the error log informing you that it tried to start and that there was an error in the configuration file.

So, if you know that httpd is not running (and no pages are being served for any site, for any client on any network), and there is no other error log file anywhere else, then I'd look at the installation of Apache HTTP Server (and hence Mac OS X, since the two are bundled together). You might have filesystem corruption, be missing key files, or simply not doing things in the way Apple wants you to do them.

All else failing, you may want to set up another machine, do a fresh load of Mac OS X on it, get httpd working, and then transfer the site content from the old server to the new one, and configure the sites from scratch (by hand) using the files on the old server as a guide. Be sure to do this all according to the procedures outlined in the documentation that Apple provides (go to http://support.apple.com/ and search for "Apache" to get started).

If you do have an error in your httpd configuration, it could be in the file
you posted, but it could also be in any of those included files.

The include directives were all authored by apple except the include for
vhosts. The vhosts were authored by me. They were working in the previous
iteration of the webserver. Should I post a typical vhost file?

I would not expect it to be useful for you to post one of your typical vhost files, since if there were an error in it, I'd expect to see an error in the web server error log when you try to start the web server.

I hope this helps, at least a little.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org