On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Rob Landrito <rlandr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to used piped logs as described here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html#piped.  The environment is
> httpd 2.2.11 on sco 6.0.0 (SCO_SV system 5 6.0.0 i386).  I'm using
> User nouser
> Group nogroup
>
> Apache is unable to start, printing the following to stderr on startup:
> [Tue Dec 06 13:09:59 2011] [error] (22)Invalid argument: setting of
> group failedBroken Pipe

That's the concatenation of two different error messages.

Switch your error log temporarily to a file instead of to a piped
logger, and make sure everything starts up cleanly.  (It looks like
you'll have to modify the Group directive.)

Then try using a piped logger for the access log, again with a simpler
logging mechanism for the error log.

> It doesn't seem to matter what program I use on the other end of the
> pipe.  I'm actually trying to use rotatelogs but echo seems to have
> the same problem.  I've tried various setuid tricks just to see if I
> could pinpoint the issue.  I suid'd the rotatelogs binary to root as
> well as nouser and neither seemed to help.  I suspect that this
> problem is isolated to SCO.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Born in Roswell... married an alien...