Hi

Running perl scripts with SuExec and mod_fcgi works fine by using the SetHandler fcgid-script Option, as described on [1].

However this has one disadvantage: SuExec requires the scripts to be owned by the same user they should run as. From a security point of view this is not always what we want, as this potentially allows vandalism of the whole hosting, if a script is vulnerable.

So for PHP hostings we do it the following way: Hostings have 2 users that share their primary group. One user is for SFTP Access, the other one is the user that is used as a SuExec option, let's call it "run-user". The FCGIWrapper Script is placed outside of the hosting path and owned by the run-user and the shared group. All the scripts uploaded by the user are owned by the sftp user. So in general scripts can't overwrite themselves - the user needs to specifically enable the group to have write access, to allow uploads etc.

This setup is not really possible with the "SetHandler fcgid-script" option, as by SuExec rules the script it executes must owned by the run-user.

So I tried to implement it the same way as I do it for PHP for perl. But I fail to find and/or write a correct FCGIWrapper Script that actually works. I found a couple of examples with:

--
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/perl -w

But they all seem to struggle with the same problem I then have:

--
[Thu Dec 08 22:14:53 2011] [warn] [client 127.0.0.1] (104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server [Thu Dec 08 22:14:53 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of script headers: index.pl
--

I'm not that experienced with perl, fcgi etc. But as far as I understood this is because calling directly perl is not really a cgi savy way, right? So quite obvious that this fails to work...

Hence my questions: Are there any alternative wrapper scripts around that should be used in my case? Is it simply not possible to execute perl scripts with mod_fcgid with a FCGIWrapper script? Or how could I achieve the same setup, I have for PHP, also for perl?

Thanks for your help!

~pete

[1] https://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/mod/mod_fcgid.html#examples