I just tried that, but failed to compile mod_proxy_html and so I copied all
the mod_proxy_....so module files into my specifix prefix directory and
added the LoadModule directives and can now start apache just fine. Thanks.

LoadModule proxy_module  modules/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule proxy_ajp_module  modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so
LoadModule proxy_balancer_module  modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so
LoadModule proxy_connect_module  modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
LoadModule proxy_ftp_module  modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
LoadModule proxy_html_module  modules/mod_proxy_html.so
LoadModule proxy_http_module  modules/mod_proxy_http.so
LoadModule proxy_scgi_module  modules/mod_proxy_scgi.so