I'm an IIS admin and new to the list. I've done the best I can with
mod_ssl documentation, google, etc, and can't find anyone else who's even
experienced my problem, much less found a solution. That, of course, makes
me wonder whether I'm even understanding it correctly, but I see it plain
as day in my WireShark traces.

I've got a race condition with a slow IIS server. The IIS server
successfully TLS connects to my Apache server, and sends an encrypted
request. The Apache server responds successfully, and the IIS server is
usually happy and done. 5 seconds later, a TLS Rec Layer-1 Encrypted Alert
is transmitted by the Apache server and the TLS conversation is
terminated. Every now and again, though, the negotiation is complicated by
the IIS server when it submits a second or third encrypted request through
the existing, open TLS channel. 999 times in 1000 all these negotiations
are flawless.

1 time in 1000 the slow IIS server takes exactly 5 seconds to decide to
send an additional encrypted request (TLS Application Data). When this
happens, the encrypted request crosses the TLS Rec Layer-1 Encrypted Alert
on the wire, resulting in "The underlying connection was closed: The
connection was closed unexpectedly."

I don't see any directive in mod_ssl that allows me to extend that 5
second conversation timeout. What am I overlooking? I'm able to modify the
SSLSessionCacheTimeout directive, but that has no impact on the 5 second
timeout around any particular conversation.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?