On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Phil Smith <philbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm running Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) which is the latest version
>> available for CentOS5.
>> I'm noticing the following in my error logs:
>> sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
>> sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>>
>> They usually arrive in groups of 2-10 such messages; always the exact
>> same message and always in pairs.
>>
>> I've done all the normal examination of access logs that you would
>> expect and with various markers that I've been able to send to my
>> error log, I can pinpoint the time of the errors to within a second or
>> two. But nothing of interest shows in my access logs. Only what
>> appears to be normal and harmless looking GET requests for appropriate
>> URLs to my site. There are not any POSTs near the error time which I
>> understand could send data that I could not gather from the access
>> logs.
>>
>> I've googled and have seen a very few people seeing this, but no answers.
>>
>> Any thoughts, please?
>
> Find a shell-script CGI accessed around the same time.

I've already looked for several hours gathering access log data around
the time of those errors. I'm writing some debug to my access logs
every second so I have a very accurate timestamp around the sh errors.
The only requests in the access logs near the time in question are
perl CGIs requested via GET so I can request them myself in the exact
same manner and they do not produce the 'sh' error. They work as
expected. I'm beginning to suspect something internal to apache or an
apache module that might be printing to STDERR and failing.