> If i comment out
> "ServerAlias *.example.com" traffic to test.example.com goes to the
> more specific container and others to the default, but only because
> "revproxy.internal" is also the name of the server in the global
> server configuration, so the first virtualhost also happens to be the
> "default" server int he global sense which is what happens because no
> ServerName/ServerAlias is matched in the VirtualHosts.

I think this might be where you're misunderstanding the algorithm.

If the local address and port matches any resolved argument to any
<virtualhost>, it will never use the base server configuration.

Once you've found the best match for a addr:port, httpd chooses from
the virtual hosts with that exact argument in them.

Then servername from that set
If not found, then serveralias from that set
If not found, then default to the first-listed of that set.