I noticed that when I placed an .htaccess file outside of web space,
the .htaccess file was respected by Apache. I found this surprising.

Say DocumentRoot is /home/joe/public_html so that /home/joe is in a
path leading to web space, but outside of web space.
An .htaccess file:
/home/joe/.htaccess is respected by Apache.

Am I interpreting what I'm seeing correctly or could I possibly have a
configuration problem? I don't want and I don't expect anything at the
/home/joe level to be web space so I was surprised that Apache would
recognize any file at the /home/joe level for any purpose.

Or am I thinking about this wrong in that /home/joe would be web space
if not for the "Deny from all" placed at the <Directory />  level and
nothing permissive allowed except for a permissive Directory
configuration of /home/joe/public_html?

Thanks.