My browser tells me that "It Works!"  but it took a couple days of banging my
head against the wall. I encountered the following rough spots and eventually
stumbled over their solutions as noted:

1)      No libpcre
This is a pre-requisite for httpd, I did not have it.  I downloaded version
8.30 from www.pcre.org<http://www.pcre.org>. The configure script ran OK, but
the make failed with errors about libgcc missing, even though 'rpm -aq'
indicated it was present.  It was necessary to remove all the gcc, g++, and
libstdc packages via  'rpm -e', and then install them again in the following
order:

libgcc-4.2.0-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm
libstdcplusplus-4.2.0-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm
libstdcplusplus-devel-4.2.0-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm
gcc-cplusplus-4.2.0-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm

These packages are all downloadable at:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/alpha.html

My 'rpm -aq' listing now includes:

libgcc-4.2.0-3
gcc-4.2.0-3
libstdc++-4.2.0-3
gcc-c++-4.2.0-3
libstdc++-devel-4.2.0-3

But I did NOT install any separate gcc-4.2.0-3 RPM, I think it just came along
with the gcc-c++ package. Originally I had installed a separate gcc package,
and I think that messed up the interface with libgcc.

2)  Apache 'make install' fails with "install: File mod_authn_file.so was not
found."

This issue is discussed at length on the mailing list archives at:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201202.mbox/%3CCAN9c_NSp8D9ifhb0FgSmfyKHqfQSFrmwuj+5przNZpqmp7v=z...@mail.gmail.com%3E

 but I did not see a resolution for it. Recommendations for work-arounds
included compiling and installing the apache "apr" sopftware as a separate
package, using an explicitly declared destination directory when running "make
install", and some other suggestions that I did not understand. None of them
worked for me.

Instead, what make the install work for me was a suggestion from the README in
the build/aix subdirectory. The scripts there are supposed to build an AIX
installp package for apache. I didn't try it, but they said that libtool did
not work well with the AIX 'install' program, and to use the GNU one instead. I
already had the GNU coreutils installed (also available from the above IBM
site), so I set the PATH so that 'which install' returned
/opt/freeware/bin/install.

After this, 'make install' ran just fine, and httpd runs for me and serves out
the test page. I had already separated out the 'apr' stuff and installed it in
/usr/local/apr and compiled apache separately, but out of curiosity I started
over again, unpacking both httpd and httpd-deps into the same directory and
running 'configure' with the "-with-included-apr" option, and that installed
and runs just fine, too!

George

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all
copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and
(iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any
message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons
other than the intended recipient. Thank you.