On 5/31/2012 10:49 AM, kharp...@oreillyauto.com wrote:
> However, if I stop a context (to
> simulate a crashed app) and leave tomcat running, apache seems to consider
> the balancer member alive.  Obviously, this results in "unavailable"

Hi, Kyle - with any luck, Tomcat will return a unique HTTP status code
you could use. There is a failonstatus parameter you can set for each
balancer member that will have mod_proxy_balancer mark the worker out of
service if that status code is found. I've tested this with WebSphere
which returns a 503 (Service Unavailable) if a webapp is stopped while
the container is running.

The downside here is that there's no way to "check" again before it goes
back into service - it just gets reenabled when the retry period
(default: 60 seconds) expires... so if it's still down by that time, at
least one user will be impacted before httpd takes it out of service again.

See the params for ProxyPass at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypass

--
Daniel Ruggeri