Can mod_proxy failover with out ever returning an error to the client? If
active node fails I need mod_proxy to try the Standby for the same request
and not just from the subsequent request!

In our setup we are using mod_proxy_balancer to manage failover of backend
servers. Backend servers may return an error code instead of timing out
when some service such as NFS fails and we want such servers also to be
marked as failed nodes. Hence we are using *failonstatus* directive for the
balancer.

<Proxy balancer://failover>
    ProxySet failonstatus=503
    BalancerMember http://active/ retry=30
    # the hot standby
    BalancerMember http://standby/ status=+H retry=0
</Proxy>
RewriteBase /RewriteRule ^(.*)$ balancer://failover/$1 [P,L]

 Currently the failover works perfectly with one glitch. When active node
fails the user gets a 503 error and from the next request the Standby
server takes over.

I dont want even a single request to fail though.

Can this be achieved?

Thank you!