On Sep 13, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Colin Murtaugh <cmurta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I'm trying to set up a pair of tomcat servers behind apache using
> mod_proxy_balancer.  I'm using Apache 2.4.3 that I built a couple of days ago
> on Solaris.
>
> I see in the 2.4 docs that balancer settings can now be persistent after
> restarts.  I assume that this refers to changes to settings made via the
> balancer-manager UI, but I can't seem to get it to work.
>
> Here's my config:
>
> <Proxy balancer://testcluster growth=5>
>     BalancerMember http://localhost:8861 timeout=5 keepalive=on
>     BalancerMember http://localhost:8871 timeout=5 keepalive=on
> </Proxy>
>
> ProxyPass /test balancer://testcluster
> ProxyPassReverse /test balancer://testcluster
>
> <Location /balancer-manager>
>     SetHandler balancer-manager
> </Location>
>
> Load-balancing works as expected, but if I edit one of the two nodes via
> balancer-manager to set its status to 'disabled', the status returns to Ok
> after I restart apache.
>
> Similarly, if I add a new worker to the cluster via balancer-manager, it's
> gone after a restart.  In both of these cases, I expected the settings to be
> as I left them before the restart.
>
> Am I misunderstanding how the settings persistence is supposed to work, or is
> there something else I need to do in order to get the settings to be saved?

because these settings are stored in shared memory, post config,
and changes made won't persist a restart or reboot since Apache
goes back the honoring the httpd.conf file settings.

If you need the updates to persist, you'll need to tell
mod_proxy to write out the shared memory data to a file, which
is then read and honored during the restart.

> Additional question:
>
> I have the timeout set to 5 seconds; if the back-end service takes longer
> than 5 seconds to finish, the proxy does abandon the request as expected, and
> I get an error in the browser.  Is there any way to have the proxy, when the
> back-end times out, retry the request against another one of the nodes?

If the back-end has started a reply, then there's no way to
retry against someone else. Is the timeout due to the backend
being slow or because it's down?