On September 18, 2012 0:17 , PanaColina <panama.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for your response. I had assumed that there was some mechanism either within Apache HTTP Server or within PHP-FPM for handling a URI request that corresponds to a directory. It just seemed like such a basic requirement, to me.

Apache HTTP Server does support this for files that it serves itself. But it is impossible, in general, for Apache HTTP Server to support directory indexing for files that it proxies to a back-end server. For example, let's say you have a front-end web server running httpd responding to requests for www.example.com that proxies things to a FastCGI server running on a completely different machine at backend.example.com. When httpd sees a request for /content/create/hotdog, it won't be able to tell whether this is a request for a file named "hotdog", a request for the index of a directory named "hotdog", or whether this is a RESTful request to create a resource named "hotdog". This is because the front-end web server isn't able to see the back-end server's configuration, and the back-end server may not even serve files from a filesystem, it may dynamically interpret all URI paths, it may serve them out of a database, or it may do something else entirely. All Apache HTTP Server can do in this case is pass the request along to the back-end server and let the back-end server interpret what the request actually means.

I agree that PHP-FPM should support a directory indexing mechanism, but it currently does not. You may want to ask on the relevant PHP mailing lists whether this is a problem for anyone else and whether there are any plans to add this functionality to PHP.

I understand your point about a RewriteRule for matching directories, although I have not been able to come up with a regex that would match any directory at any depth, eg: /subdir, /subdir/subsubdir etc., but I am no regex expert. I don't think a separate RewriteRule for each subdirectory would be reasonable.

You should not have a rule for each subdirectory. Instead, have a rule that only gets triggered if the URI path happens to be for a directory, any directory, at any level. The way to do this is by putting a RewriteCond directive before your rewrite rule, like this:

        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^/?(.*)$ fcgi://socket=%2fusr%2flocal%2fphp-fpm%2fvar%2frun%2ffpm-php.sock/usr/local/apache/www/$1index.php [P,L]

Note that the write rule is matching the entire URL path, regardless of whether it contains multiple slashes or not. If you requested http://yourserver.example.com/subdir/subdirsubdir/ (note the trailing slash) then %{REQUEST_FILENAME} would be /usr/local/apache/www/subdir/subsubdir/ and the RewriteCond would be true if this existed in the filesystem and was a directory. The capture part of the RewriteRule, "(.*)" would then match subdir/subsubdir and the request would be proxied to fcgi://socket=%2fusr%2flocal%2fphp-fpm%2fvar%2frun%2ffpm-php.sock/usr/local/apache/www/subdir/subsubdir/index.php

I tried your patch (thank you) on php-5.4.6 and php-5.4.7 without success. Running the patch, there was a small offset in each case (8 lines), but building failed:

    /usr/local/src/php-5.4.6/sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_main.c: In function
    ‘fpm_cgibin_saveenv’:
    /usr/local/src/php-5.4.6/sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_main.c:1388: error:
    ‘tsrm_ls’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /usr/local/src/php-5.4.6/sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_main.c:1388: error:
    (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /usr/local/src/php-5.4.6/sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_main.c:1388: error: for
    each function it appears in.)

I assumed I could simply declare tsrm_ls at the beginning of the function (obviously, I am not a programmer). While I tried several basic ideas for declaring it, and each one allowed php to compile without a build error, php-fpm would not start after it was installed.

You may want to take this part of the discussion to a PHP mailing list. But you can't simply declare something to make a symptom (error) go away, you would have to actually solve the underlying problem (whatever it may be) correctly. In this case, my patch doesn't deal with that symbol at all, it's something that gets used in ZTS builds of PHP, so I suspect that you're not compiling PHP correctly. Are you able to successfully build PHP without my patch and get a working php-fpm?

I appreciate this functionality is not necessary for every website, but I am still surprised there is no real support for this, given that php-fpm is not considered experimental as of httpd-2.4.

Again, this is not a problem with Apache HTTP Server. php-fpm is a part of the PHP project, and the functionality that is missing is missing from PHP, not from Apache HTTP Server. But there are workarounds that you can do in Apache HTTP Server, such as the mod_rewrite based workaround that I discuss above.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org