Thank you for your indulgent response to my so ignorant request.

I will move this to a relevant PHP list (although I tried more than a week
ago on a PHP-FPM list, with no response).

I did understand that *this is not an error in Apache HTTP Server*, but
Apache has had workarounds for some issues with proxies and other external
issues.

I did not know exactly how directory indexing worked. I am now educated --
thank you.

As for your RewriteRule for directories, I tried it, and while it did work
for /, it did not work for /sub/subdirectories, although I thought it
should. I will try testing again later.

As for your patch, I have had luck a couple of times simply declaring
something, but as I said: *I am not a progammer*. As I was using your patch
against the exact same version of PHP as your patch was named for
(php-5.4.6), I was surprised by the required offset (as previously noted).
And yes, I have built PHP-FPM successfully, on three different servers
(with php-5.4.6 and php-5.4.7, with httpd-2.4.3). They have all ran well,
albeit without support for directory indexing. None have run with your
patch. (I may not be a programmer, but I do know how to test.)

Regards,

J.L. Hill