On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Roel Wagenaar <r...@wagenaar.nu> wrote:
>> Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>     On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Roel Wagenaar <r...@wagenaar.nu>
>>> wrote:
>>>     > Hi,
>>>     >
>>>     > I am trying to get SSI working on my Apache2 server, I have been
>> following this
>>>     > guideline:
>>>     >
>>>     > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/ssi.html
>>>     >
>>>     > to the letter
>>>
>>>     Can you share your configuration so we can validate this :)
>>>
>>>     Cheers
>>>
>>>     Tom

>> Sure, httpd.conf and the virtual_server.conf attached,
>> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
>> is untouched and left like the Debian installer put it.
>
> Sigh - I don't use Debian. Am I supposed to guess the contents of this file?
>
> Presumably - you don't mention any of this - you are requesting a file
> that will be served from /data/web, that file has the executable bit
> set, and there are no .htaccess files affecting that directory.
>
> The error message says that the file is marked to be processed for
> includes - so XBitHack is working - but that 'Includes' option is not
> turned on. It is clearly turned on in your configuration - or the
> parts you have shared - so logically, some part of the configuration
> you are not showing is turning it back off again.

Roel shared his full config with me off-list, but lets keep the
replies on list, so that others with the same problem can benefit.

I think the issue is that you are not hitting the vhost you think you
are hitting. Can you put a CustomLog in the vhost you think this
should be going to, load the resource, and see if it appears in the
access log for that vhost.

I think it is hitting the vhost in sites-enabled/001-familie, and not
sites-enabled/999-default. It is non-obvious this is happening,
because they share the same DocumentRoot.

To fix this, you should fix your NameVirtualHost setting and
<VirtualHost> containers. If you are solely using name based virtual
hosting, you should have "NameVirtualHost *:80" (which is in the stock
config) and no NameVirtualHost <your_ip>:80. All your <VirtualHost>
containers should be <VirtualHost *:80> (matching the NameVirtualHost
directive).

Cheers

Tom