I'm beginning to wonder if what I'm trying to do Just Doesn't Make Sense. After banging my head on this for 2 weeks, I'm asking the hive mind for help.

I have an Apache Tomcat-based application that runs on as the only app on a particular Tomcat server. Each server services an individual client. When I have a new client, I spin a new server (this is actually in EC2, so this is very easy to do).

The tomcat application runs on the 'middle tier', and is fronted by an Apache HTTP server that has a single exposed IP, and proxies connections back to the appserver.

So far so good.

The problem is I want to have subdirectories within the initial URL map to different back end servers. IE:
http://FOO.com/a/ <-- goes to server 'app01'
http://FOO.com/b/ <-- goes to server 'app02'

And so on. The problem is I can't figure out what magic incantations to put in httpd.conf to make this work. Note that I have working vhosts answering subdomain requests, and proxying back correctly - like this one:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName m.FOO.com
        ProxyPreserveHost On
        ProxyPass / ajp://10.211.42.48:8009/
        ProxyPassReverse / ajp://10.211.42.48:8009/
</VirtualHost>

But I'm trying to change this so FOO.com/something/ goes somewhere different than FOO.com/somethingelse/

Here's what I have now, and it's not working correctly.

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName www.FOO.com
        ServerAlias FOO.com

        ProxyRequests Off

        # Working, live production host:
        ProxyPass /a/ ajp://10.211.42.48:8009/
        ProxyPassReverse /a/ http://FOO.com/

        # app test host
        ProxyPass /c/ ajp://10.122.95.146:8009/
        ProxyPassReverse /c/ http://FOO.com/
</VirtualHost>

The first Proxy configuration is working correctly. Requests coming into /a/ go to the server on 10.211.42.48. No worries. But hitting the second address will end me back up at /a/ - I'm guessing because there are essentially two ProxyPassReverse's for the same url (http://FOO.com).

Is this configuration even possible using ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse? Should I reconfigure this to use mod_rewrite and use [P] rules? An initial stab at that failed, but if that's where I should go I'll use it.

Help please?

--
Dave Shevett
shev...@pobox.com