On 26 Dec 2012, at 19:31, John Iliffe wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something following this discussion, but doesn't the
> following PHP command fetch the information you need?  If so, I'm sure the
> same results can be obtained in other scripting languages.
>
> $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

You may want to update that.

Since 2.4, apache makes the distinction between the the two different
REMOTE_ADDR candidates: the peer making the TCP connection,
and the client making the HTTP request.  In other words, the nearest
proxy and the end-user.  The latter is of course very easy to spoof,
but is nevertheless the one most applications want.

To the OP, if you can't figure it out from what you've already been told,
hire a techie.  You probably just want a competent sysop.

--
Nick Kew