On 2/12/2013 10:59 AM, Riccardo Cohen wrote:
> Thanks Ben, here are the answers :
>
>> 1.) Where have you defined the rewrite rule? In a .htaccess file?
>
> in .htaccess
>
>> 2.) Have you defined a RewriteBase? If so, what is it?
>
> no change with or without
>
>> 3.) Have you reviewed Apache's access log at all?
>
> I'll have a look now
>
>> 4.) Have you increased RewriteLogLevel to, say, 4, to see exactly what
>> the mod_rewrite engine is doing?
>
> I'll try that. Is it possible to set it in .htacces or must I change
> global apache configuration (I only have access to my .htaccess in this
> hosting).

Unfortunately, RewriteLogLevel can be set in the "server config" and
"virtual host" contexts only. (You can make this type of determination
in the future by visiting the manual page and looking for the "context"
value:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewriteloglevel .)

This is one of many reasons for which hosting on a VPS over which you
have complete control is beneficial.

In any case, we'll have to proceed without access to the rewrite log.

Is there a specific reason for which you're using "./index.php" in the
right-hand side of the rule? I'm referring to the period ("."), in
particular. This may well be the source of the problem. It could be that
mod_php interprets that relative path (./index.php) "correctly", whereas
mod_fcgid does not.

Try this:

RewriteRule ^en/(.*) index.php/en/$1

-Ben