On 2/13/2013 4:14 PM, Riccardo Cohen wrote:
> Hi Ben
>
>>> I tried without the dot : RewriteRule ^en/(.*) index.php/en/$1 but it
>>> gave also an error 404.
>>
>> It would be helpful to know what, exactly, appears in Apache's access
>> log (and/or error log, if you can manage to find that, too) in each of
>> these test cases.
>
> I've asked for the apache error log, and found no error in it.
> Only one which was a request done before adding the new .htaccess, but
> nothing else :
>
> [Tue Feb 12 21:04:17 2013] [error] [client 90.24.101.9] File does not
> exist: /datas/vol1/w4a125552/var/www/perspectives-musicales.org/test6

Very good. No problems there.

> The access log show all requests normally with no particular message :
>
> 90.24.101.9 - - [12/Feb/2013:21:04:46 +0100] "GET /test1/a/b/c HTTP/1.1"
> 404 45 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/18.0" "20130212210446"
>
> 90.24.101.9 - - [12/Feb/2013:21:04:51 +0100] "GET /test2/a/b/c HTTP/1.1"
> 200 52 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/18.0" "20130212210451"
>
> 90.24.101.9 - - [12/Feb/2013:21:04:56 +0100] "GET /test4/a/b/c HTTP/1.1"
> 302 206 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/18.0" "20130212210456"
>
> 90.24.101.9 - - [12/Feb/2013:21:03:28 +0100] "GET /test5/a/b/c HTTP/1.1"
> 404 45 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/18.0" "20130212210328"
>
> 90.24.101.9 - - [12/Feb/2013:21:04:17 +0100] "GET /test6/a/b/c HTTP/1.1"
> 404 45 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/18.0" "20130212210417"

This seems to imply that Apache is not generating the 404 errors; if it
were, one would expect access log entries to that effect.

>>> These are all my tests : (available at
>>> http://www.perspectives-musicales.org/test1/a/b/c etc.)
>>>
>>> RewriteRule ^test1/(.*) ./test.php/$1
>>> # = error 404
>>
>> I hit this URL and from what I can tell, the 404 response header is
>> coming from PHP, not Apache. The output is "No input file specified."
>> This doesn't look like a "stock" Apache 404 response. Did you build
>> logic into test.php that emits a 404 response header and this message
>> when some parameter is absent from the URL?
>
> test.php is only this :
>
> ok test
> <?
> $info=$_SERVER["PATH_INFO"];
> echo "INFO=".$info."<br>";
> $query=$_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"];
> echo "query=".$query."<br>";
> ?>
>
> maybe the error comes from mod_fcgid itself ?

Quite possibly. In fact, a search for "mod_fcgid No input file
specified" yields the following article:

http://isp-control.net/forum/printthread.php?tid=12653

Of particular import is the suggestion, "Okay, this may be caused by
either (1) apache sending an incorrect path to the php file to php5-cgi;
or (2) something (permissions?) that prevents php5-cgi from running the
script."

Do other PHP scripts function as expected when executed via mod_fcgid?
Or do they all return the error string, "No input file specified" and a
404 response?

>>> RewriteRule ^test2/(.*) ./test.php?$1
>>> # = parameters are in query_string instead of path_info
>>
>> Why is this a problem?
>
> My whole web application is developped with urls like
>
> http://www.perspectives-musicales.org/en/all-associations
>
> for search engine optimizations, where "en" and "all-associations" are
> not pages or directories, but program arguments (replacing
> "?lang=en&command=all-associations" which are poor seo)

Right; I built a PHP framework that uses so-called "clean-URLs", and am
well-versed in the theory behind this approach, as well as its
execution. The rationale seems sound.

> So, as explained in my first email, all arguments to my application
> controller are in $_SERVER["PATH_INFO"] (and not
> $_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]). And that did work like a charm with
> mod_php... Changing all my application with data in query_string is not
> very complicated if I wrote a good program ( :) ) but will need a lot of
> checks.
>
> Actually at the point where I am now, i've already spent some time on it...

My PHP framework functions the same way via mod_php as it does with
mod_fcgid and mod_fastcgi. I achieved this by using a well-known
technique to rewrite the URLs (I place these directives into the
site-root's .htaccess file):

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine on
  Options All

  # Modify the RewriteBase if you are using a subdirectory and the
  # rewrite rules are not working properly:
  # WARNING: Do not include a trailing slash on this directive if you
  # include a path other than /!
  #RewriteBase /

  # Rewrite URIs of the form 'index.php?q=x' (except for real
  # files/directories):
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]
</IfModule>

(WordPress, Joomla, and many other frameworks do something similar.)

Then, in PHP, $_GET['q'] will always contain the "clean URL" (unless, of
course, the 'q' value is overwritten, e.g., the URL contains
"?q=something-else"). For this reason, you may wish to use something
other than "q" in the RewriteRule value. You can then parse the
clean-URL to obtain its "individual segments" and do with them as you
will. While over simplified, an example is to call explode('/',
trim($_GET['q'], '/')) in PHP. This will return an array that contains
the various "path segments". The URL
http://www.perspectives-musicales.org/en/all-associations would return

array (size=2)
  0 => string 'en' (length=2)
  1 => string 'all-associations' (length=16)

Granted, undertaking this approach would mean rewriting certain aspects
of your application, but chances are that you'll thank yourself later.
You'll have a much more portable application that is
scripting-language-agnostic, with respect to URL structure. (Switching
to another scripting language requires a simple change to your
RewriteRule only.)

>> It should be stated that mod_php and mod_fcgid populate these values in
>> different ways. From what I understand, PATH_INFO is less reliable and
>> less well-implemented than QUERY_STRING. Fundamentally, this is why you
>> are observing different behavior/values here after moving from mod_php
>> to mod_fcgid.
>
> I'm not sure that this is a problem with the PATH_INFO variable since
> the error occurs even before php has any chance to start executing (the
> test.php is not executed at all in test1)

This may be for the reasons outlined in the article that I cited above.
If you'd like to post your CGI wrapper script, I'd be happy to take a
look. Alas, you may lack access to this script, in which case, it's a
moot point. Although, I must say, it seems unlikely that your host would
have misconfigured the wrapper script. (Then again, we've all seen worse.)

>>> RewriteRule ^test3/(.*) ./test.php?/$1
>>> # = parameters are in query_string instead of path_info
>>
>> Same as above.
>>
>>> RewriteRule ^test4/(.*)
>>> http://www.perspectives-musicales.org/test.php/$1
>>> # = redirection 302
>>
>> I don't see a 302 response for this one. I see the same 404 and message
>> as above. Maybe you changed something after sending this message.
>
> I use firefox http live header and it shows a status code 302 ("HTTP/1.1
> 302 Found") then the browser redirect to the page as if it was another
> website

You're right; I checked this again, and I do see the 302 redirect. I
think it was a matter of enabling the "Persist" feature in Firebug.
(Otherwise, the "Net" panel is refreshed after the redirect is sent.)
Thanks for double-checking your work here!

> I still think that [apache or mod_fcgid] cannot execute test.php in
> test1 just because it thinks it is a directory and cannot find it.

That may very well be. And the solution I offered above should address
that shortcoming.

I can't tell you exactly why it doesn't work (only a VPS with shell
access would make that possible), but I can tell you what *does* work.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Good luck!

-Ben