On 2/11/2013 3:00 PM, Ben Johnson wrote:

> On 2/11/2013 2:38 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
>>
>> On 11 Feb 2013, at 18:43, Ben Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> The documentation provides a sample configuration snippet (
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_authn_socache.html ):
>>
>> Whoops!  You found a documentation bug.
>>
>> AuthnCacheSOCache can't go in a <Directory>, because
>> it determines things that happen at server startup (initialising
>> the cache), when <Directory> or equivalent is meaningless.
>>

> Thanks, Nick. I submitted a note on the relevant documentation page.
>
> Might you have insight regarding the second half of my post (the module
> faults and thread termination)? It seems like an unusual problem.
>
> -Ben

After digging-around in the source code, I'm left wondering if this
FIXME has any relevance:

>From http://fossies.org/dox/httpd-2.4.3/mod__authn__socache_8c_source.html

371     /* error: give up and pass the buck */
372     /* FIXME: getting this for NOTFOUND - prolly a bug in mod_socache */
373     ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_ERR, rv, r, APLOGNO(01686)
374     "Error accessing authentication cache");
375     return AUTH_USER_NOT_FOUND;

Does the FIXME note mean that the message "Error accessing
authentication cache" is returned (erroneously) when the authentication
cache file doesn't exist at all? If so, then I suppose that doesn't
apply here, because the file definitely exists.

When I start Apache with the following configuration line present

AuthnCacheSOCache dbm

the process creates two files in the "log" directory:
socache-dbm-authn-socache.dir and socache-dbm-authn-socache.pag. Both
file are zero-bytes in length until I make a request that requires
authentication, at which time the .pag file is populated with what looks
to be correct/valid information:

[a bunch of null-bytes and
such]{SHA}H4tRn3FmQ32/zfGNp52eeApuyyA=web_user:ben

(hash changed for privacy reasons)

So, it's not as though the files can't be created or don't exist.
Further, I'm starting Apache with Administrator credentials, to
eliminate obscure permission issues.

It bears mention that this is not the first time I've run into
concurrency/locking problems with Apache on Windows. In fact, to this
day, a similar issue plagues my stack: my log is full of message like this:

[core:error] [pid 9140:tid 1152] (OS 32)The process cannot access the
file because it is being used by another process.  : [client
fe80::1ddc:6806:70b6:8546:59306] AH00127: Cannot map GET
/project/images/banner_products.jpg HTTP/1.1 to file, referer:
https://ben-pc/project/products/

I can't help but wonder if the same problem is at the root of both symptoms.

In AH00127's case, I have posted about this in numerous places and have
not received a single response, e.g.:

http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=23176

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=63413

If nobody is able to shed light on this issue, I'll open a bug report.

Thanks,

-Ben