On 2/12/2013 2:41 PM, Ben Johnson wrote:

> On 2/11/2013 3:00 PM, Ben Johnson wrote:

>>> Whoops!  You found a documentation bug.
>>>
>>> AuthnCacheSOCache can't go in a <Directory>, because
>>> it determines things that happen at server startup (initialising
>>> the cache), when <Directory> or equivalent is meaningless.
>>>

>> Thanks, Nick. I submitted a note on the relevant documentation page.
>>
>> Might you have insight regarding the second half of my post (the module
>> faults and thread termination)? It seems like an unusual problem.
>>
>> -Ben
>
> After digging-around in the source code, I'm left wondering if this
> FIXME has any relevance:
>
>>From http://fossies.org/dox/httpd-2.4.3/mod__authn__socache_8c_source.html
>
> 371   /* error: give up and pass the buck */
> 372   /* FIXME: getting this for NOTFOUND - prolly a bug in mod_socache */
> 373   ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_ERR, rv, r, APLOGNO(01686)
> 374   "Error accessing authentication cache");
> 375   return AUTH_USER_NOT_FOUND;
>
> Does the FIXME note mean that the message "Error accessing
> authentication cache" is returned (erroneously) when the authentication
> cache file doesn't exist at all? If so, then I suppose that doesn't
> apply here, because the file definitely exists.
>
> When I start Apache with the following configuration line present
>
> AuthnCacheSOCache dbm
>
> the process creates two files in the "log" directory:
> socache-dbm-authn-socache.dir and socache-dbm-authn-socache.pag. Both
> file are zero-bytes in length until I make a request that requires
> authentication, at which time the .pag file is populated with what looks
> to be correct/valid information:
>
> [a bunch of null-bytes and
> such]{SHA}H4tRn3FmQ32/zfGNp52eeApuyyA=web_user:ben
>
> (hash changed for privacy reasons)
>
> So, it's not as though the files can't be created or don't exist.
> Further, I'm starting Apache with Administrator credentials, to
> eliminate obscure permission issues.
>
> It bears mention that this is not the first time I've run into
> concurrency/locking problems with Apache on Windows. In fact, to this
> day, a similar issue plagues my stack: my log is full of message like this:
>
> [core:error] [pid 9140:tid 1152] (OS 32)The process cannot access the
> file because it is being used by another process.  : [client
> fe80::1ddc:6806:70b6:8546:59306] AH00127: Cannot map GET
> /project/images/banner_products.jpg HTTP/1.1 to file, referer:
> https://ben-pc/project/products/
>
> I can't help but wonder if the same problem is at the root of both symptoms.
>
> In AH00127's case, I have posted about this in numerous places and have
> not received a single response, e.g.:
>
> http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=23176
>
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=63413
>
> If nobody is able to shed light on this issue, I'll open a bug report.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ben

A full week has elapsed and the note that I submitted regarding this
issue has yet to appear at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_authn_socache.html . Am I
being impatient, or am I taking time out of my day to submit feedback to
a black hole?

In any event, while I still intend to file a bug report regarding this
issue, I did find a simple workaround (thanks to user glsmith at Apache
Lounge): use shmcb instead of dbm when on Windows.

-Ben