On 24/02/2013 2:29 PM, "Coughlin, Michael J" <michael.cough...@opm.gov>
wrote:

> I have a RewriteCond issue:
>

> I have a URI: /II/anydirectory/anyfile
>

> I can get an exact match:
>

> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/II/([^/]+)/(.+)$
>

> So if I want the /II part to be optional in the match:
>
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/II)?/([^/]+)/(.+)$
>

> Now any thing can get through, since the /II part is optional, it seems
to be taken out of the equation and I am left with the equivalent of:

> Of course /II/anyfile now matches, not the required
/II/anydirectory/anyfile

> So why is the fact that (/II)?
The ? means zero or one of II which means when not present matches anything
really do you agree??

IS in the URI, but not considered now as part of the overall match?  Is
this just a rule of optional groupings that they will get ignored in the
match?