Hi Bruno,

may be you're right, I read long time ago, but actually don't remember
exactly the RFC.
So now I have just implemented such configuration with Apache 2.2.

Into the document root I have created a .htaccess with this configuration:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Root Restricted Files"
AuthBasicProvider file
AuthUserFile /var/www/.htpasswd
require valid-user

After I created a directory /var/www/test1 where I have created a new
.htaccess file with this configuration:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Test1 Restricted Files"
AuthBasicProvider file
AuthUserFile /var/www/test1/.htpasswd
require valid-user

Into /var/www/.htpasswd  there is:

# htpasswd -bn root password

root:UYMXijHR5MW42

Into  /var/www/test1/.htpasswd there is:

# htpasswd -bn test1 password1

test1:P5ENtSmla14FQ

Well, it is working pretty well, please try it.
I have also tried to add a third directory with different credential, every
thinks works like a charm :)

Best,
Vincenzo